It seems kind of silly to have to ask the question, "is that a bedroom?" when you see what obviously looks like one. Our friend, you might just be surprised that what you see might NOT be a bedroom
Avoiding The ICK
Maybe you've seen The Property Brothers on HGTV. Actually, we should say we know you've seen. Drew and Jonathan Scott have one the hearts of millions of viewers in the HGTV television series, The Property Brothers. Jonathan is the brawn, and Drew is the real estate professional, or the brain. Each week the brothers help buyers realize the potential of often distressed homes to become dream homes with a little money and a whole lot of muscle.
The Vancouver, British Columbia pair recently spoke at the at annual SHE (Simply Her Experience) Expo in Fort Wayne IN, and gave their insights on what they call the "ICK" factor.
Now, our mind thinks about left-behind food in a refrigerator, an old toilet, or mold when it comes to ICK. The brothers, however, have a much more broad scope on defining ICK. In their portion of the program, the two gave their impressions of ICK from houses they've visited through the years on The Property Brothers, and explained there's going to possibly be ICK in a lot of homes. Noted were intimate portraits, a cracked light switch or a tiny water stain on a ceiling that might keep your home from selling.
The brothers also offered the audience a few pointers in their presentation:
• Do your renovation planning well in advance – the two said they knew homeowners who had saved thousands of dollars by shopping seasonal or annual sales on big-box items and appliances.
• Accept what is and isn’t possible. Don’t expect a contractor to be able to knock down a load-bearing wall just because you want an open-concept living area. Be content with a compromise – such as a column combined with a pass-through counter and shelving, which the two showed from one of their own renovations.
• There’s more than one way to save on the costs of owning and fixing up a home. Paying a mortgage bimonthly instead of monthly, for example, or making lump-sum additional payments when possible, can save tens of thousands of dollars over the life of the mortgage, and earn quick equity.
• Let new technology help you. New computer tools let you visualize a before-and-after of a house, while online advertising with photos is the first place most buyers now look when searching for a home. Also, products such as engineered stone for counter tops and vinyl plank flooring can be alternatives to more expensive and less practical granite and hardwood.
• Let professionals help. Do you know the building code? Do you understand how to write a sales contract? Do you know how to hang drywall without tape showing at every seam? You can avoid costly mistakes by hiring someone who does it right, not over.
How cool would it be to have Drew and Scott do a flip for you? Well, we can't offer up The Property Brothers, but we CAN offer you equal knowledge and concern for finding a quality home by utilizing one of the awesome real estate professionals at The Shields Team! If you're in the market for a fixer-upper, or are needing turn-key, it's out there! Call us at (423) 433-6517 or stop by the office for a no-obligation consultation. We're located inside Keller Williams Realty at 1033 Hamilton Place in Johnson City. Let's avoid the ICK!
Holding a BS in Environmental Science, and MA in Education, real estate was not Shields Team Buyer Specialist Rayne Price's first career choice. It was only after encouragement from his wife and a cl....
Latest Blog Posts
You've become obsessed with your credit score, guarding it carefully, and keeping a close eye on it to have everything in order when you apply for a home loan. That score will will not only affect